Dana Mecke | Women’s Elite Mile
College: University of Texas at San Antonio
Sponsor / Club: Brooks / Texas Elite
1500m PR: 4:11.92
Mile PR: 4:32.70
5 Things About Me: Dana Mecke
- I work part-time as a biomedical engineer for a medical device company, Metric Medical Devices, Inc. We innovate and manufacture orthopedic implants for small bone fixation (the bones in your hands and feet).
- I became a biomedical engineer because I was incredibly interested in prosthetic limbs and I was inspired by my uncle who lived with muscular dystrophy. Everything that kept him alive and helped him live a normal life with his disease was mechanical.
- My first love was soccer. I played from when I was 5 until my junior year of high school. My nickname was Taz because I was all over the place on the field. I wanted to be the next Mia Hamm, I mean who didn’t?
- I love animals and I have a problem trying to rescue wild ones. I once potty trained an abandoned baby deer. Turbo the deer only peed and pooped on newspaper in the house.
- You will find me singing, dancing, and quoting SNL on the daily.
5 Fast Questions
- What actor would play the movie version of you? Kristen Wiig-She is hilarious.
- What did you want to be when you grew up? In a 7th grade project I wrote that I didn’t want to be a doctor, but I wanted to help people and maybe get a science degree. Or I wanted to be an actress. It’s fitting that I became a biomedical engineer. Maybe the acting will come later.
- Favorite post-run drink or snack? Breakfast tacos! Specifically from Mary’s tacos in Boerne, TX. I get the Silent Sean, it’s bacon, potato, egg, and cheese and it’s amazing.
- What was your AIM screenname? I can’t remember mine, unfortunately.
- If you had a “walk up” song as you approached the starting line, what would it be? Sandstorm by Darude. I imagine myself dancing with glow sticks very confidently as I walk to the line while strobe lights flash in the background.