August 4, 2021 – Raleigh, North Carolina – Sir Walter Running is excited to announce the final elite fields for the 2021 Sir Walter Miler. The fields consist of Olympians, National Champions, and local standouts, including 2021 NCAA 5000 meter Champion, recent NC State graduate, Elly Henes.
After not being able to hold the event in 2020, the “Miler” returns in its seventh year to its standard first Friday night spot on August 6, 2021 at the Cardinal Gibbons Track, which is a new venue for 2021, but where the event got its start with the Sandman Mile in 2013.
The 2021 event will again feature Elite Men’s and Women’s Mile races, as well as two events that show off local runners: the COROS Coaches Clash and the local Run Club 4×400 meter Relay. Olympian and the 29th woman to break 4:30 in the mile, Carrie Tollefson, will be the on-field announcer.
The Sir Walter Miler is free and open to the public and will be broadcast live on RunnerSpace.com.
“All things are a go for Friday night! We are returning to the venue where the (Sir Walter) Miler got its birth and I know it won’t disappoint,” said Sir Walter Miler Co-Founder Sandy Roberts.
Two pre-parties will be happening in advance of the first races on the track on Friday night. The Women’s Olympic Marathon will be broadcast on the video screen at Cardinal Gibbons at 6pm, with HOKA ONE ONE providing food and beverages, starting at 5:45pm. There will be a food truck in the parking lot, and Bang Energy and LMNT will be providing free sample for fans that come early.
Raleigh Brewing Company will also host their traditional Pre and Post race parties, starting at 6pm as well. Meatless Grease and El Jefecito food trucks will be in the Raleigh Brewing parking lot, and they will be showing the Women’s Olympic Marathon inside.
“The 2021 Men’s field features a wide breadth of intrigue. Five dreamers going for their first sub 4:00; three 1:44 half milers, and Sir Walter Miler veterans Sam Prakel and Craig Engels looking to top the podium for the first time,” said Men’s Elite Coordinator, Stephen Furst.
The 2021 Sir Walter Miler features $5000 in guaranteed money, plus bonus incentives. The Sir Walter Miler has had 47 sub 4:00 performances on the Men’s side and 16 sub 4:30 performances on the Women’s since its inception in 2014. The last time the 4:00 barrier was broken in Raleigh before then was 1974. No female had broken 4:30 in North Carolina before 2015.
“This is by far the deepest field we’ve had on the Women’s side, with the potential for the most first time Sub 4:30’s we’ve ever seen. We’re excited to host many first time participants, as well as some athletes that have been here many times,” said Women’s Elite Coordinator, Jeff Caron.
The Sir Walter Miler weekend will also feature the “Eat with the Pros” Dinner on Thursday night. On Saturday Morning, the “On Run with the Pros” at Umstead Park will allow anyone to run a few miles with the Elite Athletes featured in the Sir Walter Miler. The event is free and On Running will be providing complimentary snacks and coffee.
The final event of the weekend will be the Raleigh RunDown Downhill Mile, which is known as “the fastest mile in North Carolina!” The race is open to the public and starts atop Centennial Parkway and heads 130 feet down from start to finish. Women will go off at 6:30pm, followed by the Men at 7pm. The post-race party will be held at Trophy Brewing on Maywood, with a viewing of the Men’s Olympic Marathon. Registration is open at raleighrundown.com
More information on all these events can be found at SirWalterMiler.com
Sponsors of the 2021 Sir Walter Miler are Waverly Hematology Oncology, Greater Raleigh Sports Alliance, COROS, North Raleigh Family Eyecare, New Belgium Brewing, Athletic Brewing Co., Sanctuary Vineyards, ElliptiGO, Arrow Haircuts, JDL Fast Track, HOKA ONE ONE and On Running.
The Sir Walter Miler is directed and promoted by Sir Walter Running, a Raleigh-based 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization whose mission is to “bring the Greater Raleigh running community together through innovation, activation, and inclusivity.” Sir Walter Running is a USATF club that produces the Pop Up Miles series, the Raleigh RunDown Downhill Mile, the Raleigh Half Marathon, the Greenway 20k, Pop Up Cross Country at Dix Park, a series of Strava Challenges, including the Tour de Walter, and the Summer of Miles podcast.
For more information, sponsorship information, or interview requests, contact Pat Price at firstname.lastname@example.org and 919-783-7660
4:45pm – HOKA ONE ONE Pre-Party at Cardinal Gibbons with food & drink (while it lasts)
5:00pm – Women’s Olympic Marathon Watch Party at Cardinal Gibbons
5:00pm – Pre-party starts at Raleigh Brewing Company
8:30pm – COROS Coaches Clash
- Aaron Hale M Leesville Road
- Alan Sigmon M Bunker Hill
- Amy Skorich F Pace of Me
- Andie Cozzarelli F Cool Kids Run & Run4ACozz
- Brendan Murray M Jordan
- Caroline Moakley F Green Hope High School
- Chandler Caldwell M Athens Drive
- Costen Irons M Durham Academy
- Ericka Charles F Durham School of the Arts
- Hana Baskin F East Chapel Hill High School
- Jack Brunecz M Methodist University
- Jack Flood M Cardinal Gibbons
- Jessica Hofheimer F Pace of Me
- Jim Van Veen M Ravenscroft
- Jonathan Luettgen M Glen Allen High School (Richmond VA)
- McQuade Milligan M William Peace University
- Nici Rhodes F Glen Allen High School
- Omar Wiggan M Trinity Academy of Raleigh
- Paul Scruggs M Panther Creek
- Stephen Jayaraj M Holy Innocents’ Episcopal (Atlanta, GA)
8:40pm – Run Club 4x400m Relay
- Bond Brothers
- Carolina Godiva TC
- Raleigh Brewing
- House of Hops
- JCP Performance TC
- Nog Run Club
- Pace Yourself Run Co.
- PR Project
- Triangle Run Smart Training
- Bull City Running
8:45pm – Fans can enter the track area
9:05pm – National Anthem
9:15pm – Women’s Elite Mile (click name for bio)
- Elly Henes, adidas (Summer of Miles podcast interview)
- Rebecca Mehra, Oiselle Littlewing Athletics
- Gabbi Jennings, adidas
- Nikki Hiltz, adidas
- Sara Vaughn, &Mother
- Josette Norris, Reebok Boston TC
- Abbey Cooper, New Balance
- Sammy George, Tracksmith
- Sage Hurta, On Athletics Club (Summer of Miles podcast interview)
- Amanda Eccleston, Brooks Running
- Emily Infeld, Nike Bowerman TC
- Grace Barnett, ASICS Mammoth TC
- Eleanor Fulton
- Michaela Meyer
- Sinclaire Johnson, Bowerman TC
- Alli Cash, ASICS
- Amy-Eloise Markovc, Reebok Boston TC
- Emily Richards, HOKA ONE ONE (Pacer)
9:30pm – Men’s Elite Mile (click name for bio)
- Craig Engels, NIKE
- Waleed Suliman, Brooks Beasts
- Sam Prakel, adidas
- Geordie Beamish, On Athletics Club
- Charles Philibert-Thiboutot, New Balance
- Joey Berriatua, Tinman Elite / adidas (Summer of Miles podcast interview)
- John Reniewicki, Under Armour
- Mick Stanovsek, Melbourne University TC
- Vincent Ciattei, NIKE Oregon Track Club Elite
- Biya Simbassa, Under Armour
- Eric Holt, Empire Elite TC
- Tai Dinger
- Isaiah Harris, NIKE
- Robby Andrews, adidas (Pacer)
9:40pm – Awards Ceremony on the Cardinal Gibbons Track
9:55pm – Post Party starts at Raleigh Brewing Company