It’s race day! We hope you can make it out tonight for Sir Walter Miler, version 2.5. If you plan on coming, please RSVP on Facebook. While you’re at it, follow us on Twitter, Instagram, and like the event on Facebook. The official hashtag is #miler2015
For those of you coming, here are some Race Day tips. If you have a specific question, email us SirWalterRunning@gmail.com
- Don’t drive, take Taxi Taxi! Free $10 credit towards your first ride with code SIRWALTER when you download their app on: iPhone or Android.Share a taxi with friends and pay nothing for the evening! They’ll have a line at the Raleigh Brewing Company Post-Party
- Raleigh Brewing Company – parking will be limited here, so if you want a spot, come around 6pm
- Meredith College – Faircloth Street entrance lot (Campus Map) – If you don’t mind walking a little, the Faircloth lot is a great option. It will be lit this year. You must move your car by 10:30pm! So if you plan on going to the after party, park elsewhere.
- The event is rain or shine. As long as there is no lightning, we will run!
- Right now, there’s a 10% chance of showers at 9pm with temps around 75. You can watch the weather here.
- Where some light rain may postpone a “ball” game, this can be beneficial to runners, especially with the low temps. Your best bet is to stop by Great Outdoor Provision Co. at Cameron Village this afternoon and equip yourself with some rain gear, just in case.
- 6:00pm – Pre-Party at Raleigh Brewing Company
- 7:00pm – Food truck windows open at Pre- Party (Hanu, Cockadoodlemoo)
- 7:15pm – Brant Kay of Better Off Dead (Grateful Dead Cover Band) plays an hour set
- 8:30pm – Running Store/Local Co. Battle
- 8:40pm – Run Club Mile Relay
- 8:45pm – Fans allowed to enter track
- 9:00pm – National Anthem
- 9:05pm – Womens Elite Mile
- 9:15pm – Mens Elite Mile
- 9:30pm – Post-Party back at Raleigh Brewing Company (Meet your favorite runners/beers/friends!)
- 10:00pm – Brant Kay plays second set at post-party
4. Track Etiquette
- NO ALCOHOL is allowed on the Meredith Campus (that’s for the pre and post party, if you’re 21)
- No spectators will be allowed on the track until 8:45pm (after Run Club Relay). Please DO NOT hop the fence.
- We WILL ALLOW people on to the track for the Womens and the Mens Elite Mile
- If you are on the track, please stand outside of lane 4
- No pets, strollers, or unattended children will be allowed on the track/infield
- If you are on the infield, please stay 3 feet from the inside of the track. Do not encroach the runners. DO NOT TAKE A “race selfie”
- Be cautious of the finish line. You will not be able to stand near there due to timing issues.
- We will have 2 porta potties by the track. Please refrain from using the fieldhouse bathrooms, as they are for the athletes.
- Have fun! Take pictures and videos! Hashtag #miler2015
- FloTrack will be on hand to shoot photos and interviews. We’ll also have a race video crew, as well as a documentation. You’ve been warned!
5. Get Hype! (and buy some merch)
- FloTrack Pre-Race Interviews
- “Runners will need speed to win Sir Walter Miler” (News & Observer)
- “Sir Walter Miler, Flotrack Throwdown redefine fan-friendly track and field” (Sporting News)
- “Sir Walter Miler Runs into Year Three” (GoPack.com)
- “Robby Andrews vs. Kyler Merber vs everyone!” (FloTrack)
- “What can you do in four minutes?” (Independent Weekly)
- “Join the Sir Walter Experience tonight!” (NC Runners)
- 2015 Sir Walter Miler Hype Video (made by our intern, Alex Boseman)
- We will have soft tees, 2015 pint glasses (and some discounted 2014 tech shirts, tank tops, pint glasses and coffee mugs) for sale at the track, by the fieldhouse, and at Raleigh Brewing Company. You’ll be able to use cash or credit card (via the square)!
- Enjoy the night! You’re witnessing history!
6. Saturday Morning – Run with the Pros at Umstead, ElliptiGO demo
- Come “Run with the Pros” you saw racing tonight!
- Group run from Umstead Park (Harrison Ave entrance – exit 287 off of I-40)
- Run starts at 8:00am. RSVP here
- ElliptiGO will be on hand for demos as well! They’ll provide coffee and bagels!
- All paces welcome!
Use code SIRWALTER to get $10 off your first ride!