Johnny Gregorek | Men’s Elite Mile
Johnny Gregorek is having a fantastic first year as a pro. Before the Olympic Trials (where he was 6th in the 1500), he ran a PR of 3:37.36 at the Furman Elite 1500, and a few days ago, he won the Morton Mile in Dublin, Ireland in a PR of 3:55.57.
5 Things About Me: Johnny Gregorek
- Before I was a runner, I was a baseball player. I was a pitcher. Did it for the women and the glory. Same reason I started running the mile.
- Speaking of the ladies, I have been dating my girlfriend since our sophomore year of high school. Her name is Amy and she has a greeting card company on Etsy called Positive Paper Co. Go buy a card now!
- I can play harmonica. And by that I mean I can play one song on harmonica. That song is “Oh Susanna”
- My teammate’s on NJNY have given me a lot of nicknames. One is “the garbage man” because that’s one of the jobs I aspired to when I was young. Others are “Johnny Bananas” and “Johnny the Jet”. I actually gave myself that last one. Trying to get it to stick.
- I have a lot of runners in my family. I get most of my speed from my great great aunt, Josephine Madden, who ran the 4×100 in the 1936 Olympics in Berlin and was teammates with Jesse Owens.