Matt Wisner | Men’s Elite Mile
Sponsor: New Generation Track and Field
College: Duke, Oregon
Mile PR: 4:13.32
5 Things About Me: Matt Wisner
- I don’t drink Gatorade very much but when I do I drink it out of those normal bottles and not the weird ones with the sucky top.
- I’m a writer. That’s my job in addition to running.
- I ran for Duke and then for Oregon and now I live in Eugene and still train with my college coach and teammates.
- My favorite movie is Mulholland Drive and this year for my birthday I rented out a movie theater so all my friends could watch it and my teammates Cooper & Cole got drug tested in the middle and then suffered through the rest because it’s very confusing and sometimes makes no sense even if you watch the full thing.
- I’ve never crashed my car because I’m safe and responsible and skilled behind the wheel.
5 Fast Questions
- What’s something people should add to their podcast or streaming queue? Twin Peaks is my favorite TV show. It used to be on Netflix but not anymore xo. The only podcast I listen to is Red Scare but I love my girl Emma’s pod Convos Over Cold Brew too.
- What’s your favorite sport or sporting event outside of running? None I literally hate sports.
- What’s your go-to pre-run meal or snack? Coffee.
- Do you have any connections to Raleigh or North Carolina? I went to college at Duke! I watched Sir Walter one summer when I was living in Durham and thought it was such a sick race experience and I felt like maybe a few years down the line I’d race it. Here we are.
- One positive change I’ve seen in the sport in the past year is… My Very Amazing Super Cool Magazine That I Make Myself is taking off and getting a lot of attention and I think it models the kind of media culture I want to see in the sport. It portrays athletes as characters and not… boring, lifeless, sterile, out-of-touch athletes. New Generation Track and Field magazine baby. Check it out.
Matt joins the Summer of Miles podcast!