Kate Van Buskirk | Women’s Elite Mile
1500m PR: 4:05.38
Mile PR: 4:28.08
5 Things About Me: Kate Van Buskirk
- North Carolina connection: I’m Canadian, but I attended Duke University from 2006-2011, where I was a proud member of the track and cross country programs. Go Blue Devils! (Fun fact: my boyfriend, also Canadian, is an NC State alumn. We were foreigners living in NC at the same time, but never met at the time.)
- I started running track when I was in grade 4, and was determined to be a sprinter, with a life goal of beating Donovan Bailey’s 100m World Record.
- I taught myself the “Cups” routine and song that Anna Kendricks does in the movie “Pitch Perfect.” Hours of practice went into that endeavor.
- I can quote almost any line from any episode of the “Friends” series. 5 years of that show playing in the locker room at Duke is to thank for this particular skill.
- I got my first ever tattoo–a Canadian maple leaf–in the USA. (Although it was in Minnesota, so close enough…)
5 Fast Questions
- What actor would play the movie version of you? Megan Follows (who played Anne of Green Gables in the original 1985 movie.) Megan is my doppleganger and Anne is my fictional kindred spirit.
- What did you want to be when you grew up? I’m still figuring that out 😉
- Favorite post-run drink or snack? Stroopwafels (I discovered these in Belgium during my first European racing tour and was instantly hooked)
- What was your AIM screenname? Didn’t have one… We used MSN Messenger in Canada. My screenname was soccergirl87
- If you had a “walk up” song as you approached the starting line, what would it be? “All Star” by Smashmouth. Classic.