Meet the 2017 Competitors: Steph Garcia
Steph Garcia | Women’s Elite Mile
Social Media: Twitter | Instagram
Club / Sponsor: Furman Elite / New Balance
1500m PR: 4:04.63
Mile PR: 4:24.68
5 Things About Me: Steph Garcia
- I’m actually a retired grandmother: my hobby is knitting and I never travel without a huge mess of yarn and a project to keep me busy during long hotel room hangs.
- I make a Zagat-worthy charcuterie board and will rock your world with my avocado toast.
- Don’t despair high school runners! I started as a walk-on at the University of Virginia, made it to NCAA Outdoors as a true freshman, won the ACC Championships my second year, and eventually earned a full scholarship!
- I studied English and Government at UVA and would love to get involved in politics at some point in my life.
- By the end of this season, I will have raced 14 times (with Sir Walter being the 14th!) in 6 time zones with 3 new PBs in different events over 4 months.
5 Fast Questions
- What actor would play the movie version of you? I’ve been told that I look like Sophie Marceau from Braveheart… there aren’t many well-known actresses that look like me!
- What did you want to be when you grew up? I very clearly wrote in my 5th grade yearbook that I wanted to be an “author”– not a writer, an AUTHOR.
- Favorite post-run drink or snack? A citrus smoothie– anything with oranges or mango– and a PowerBar Plant Protein bar!
- What was your AIM screenname? I moved from Texas to Virginia when AIM became a thing and because I talked about Texas so much, it was some play on that show Walker, Texas Ranger– TTR (Talker, Texas Ranger) plus a string of numbers.
- If you had a “walk up” song as you approached the starting line, what would it be? “ELEMENT” by Kendrick Lamar.
Listen to Steph on the Summer of Miles podcast:
[soundcloud url=”https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/335896386″ params=”color=ff5500&auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false” width=”100%” height=”166″ iframe=”true” /]
Learn more about Steph at: VIS Experience | Run with the Pros | Sir Walter “Extra” Miler
3 thoughts on “Meet the 2017 Competitors: Steph Garcia”
Pingback: Press Release: Final fields and new incentives set for 2017 Sir Walter Miler - Sir Walter Miler
Pingback: Press Release: Third time is the charm for Eccleston, and Hunter outkicks Engels at the 2017 Sir Walter Miler - Sir Walter Miler
Pingback: Sir Walter Miler Athletes and Alumni at the 2019 USATF Outdoor Championships - Sir Walter Miler