Note: This page will be updated frequently with new information!
The 2017 Sir Walter Miler will once again take place at the Meredith College track, with the pre and post race party happening at Raleigh Brewing Company. Wicked Weed (Summer of Miles Pale Ale), Bond Brothers (Obfuscate IPA), Brewery Bhavana (Glean Mango Peppercorn Saison), Lynnwood Brewing Concern (Mosaic Pale Ale), and Neuse River Brewing (River Warrior American Pale Ale) will have runner-friendly beers on tap to raise money for the East Coast Greenway Alliance, and Bo’s Kitchen and Longleaf Swine BBQ food trucks will be in the Raleigh Brewing parking lot!
Friday, August 4th is race day! We hope you can make it out tonight for the 4th annual Sir Walter Miler. If you plan on coming, please RSVP on Facebook. While you’re at it, follow us on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and like the event on Facebook. The official hashtag is #sirwaltermiler
For those of you coming, below are some Race Day tips. If you have a specific question, email us at SirWalterRunning@gmail.com
Listen below for “What you need to know for the 2017 Sir Walter Miler” via the Summer of Miles podcast:
[soundcloud url=”https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/336041917″ params=”color=ff5500&auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false” width=”100%” height=”166″ iframe=”true” /]
THE SIR WALTER MILER IS FREE AND OPEN TO THE PUBLIC!
We have our best field yet in 2017! Get to know the athletes! If you aren’t going to be in Raleigh, please check it out the event live on FloTrack Pro.
Race Day Schedule and fields (Live Results)
6:00pm – Pre-party starts at Raleigh Brewing Company
8:15pm – Racing starts at Meredith
8:30pm – Run Club 4×400 Relay
8:45pm – Fans can enter the track area
9:00pm – National Anthem
9:05pm – Women’s Elite Mile (click name for bio)
Stephanie Brown – Unattached (interview on Summer of Miles podcast)
Katrina Coogan – New Balance Boston
Amanda Eccleston – Brooks / True Blue Elite
Steph Garcia – Furman Elite / New Balance (interview on the Summer of Miles podcast)
Heather Kampf – ASICS / Team USA MN
Emily Lipari – BAA / Adidas
Megan Moye – HOKA NJNYTC (interview on Summer of Miles podcast)
Lauren Paquette – Brooks
Sarah Rapp – Pop Up Miles Champ
Rachel Schneider – Under Armour
Sara Sutherland – Saucony
Kate Van Buskirk – Unattached
Kenyetta Iyevbele – HOKA NJNYTC (Rabbit)
9:20pm – Men’s Elite Mile (click name for bio)
Andrew Dusing – Unattached
Drew Piazza – Virginia Tech
Daniel Herrera – HPW / Mexico
Trevor Dunbar – NIKE
Craig Engels – NIKE / Nike Oregon Project (interview on Summer of Miles podcast)
Joe Stilin – Reebok / ZAP Fitness
Andrew Colley – Reebok / ZAP Fitness (interview on Summer of Miles podcast)
Graham Crawford – HOKA NJNYTC
Drew Hunter – adidas
Izaic Yorks – Brooks Beasts TC
Donnie Cowart – Saucony
Avery Martin – Pop Up Miles Champ
Luis Vargas – Unattached
Tripp Hurt – Team Run Eugene
Cory Leslie – NIKE (Rabbit)
9:30pm – Awards Ceremony at Meredith College Track
9:45pm – Post-party starts at Raleigh Brewing Company (Meet your favorite runners / beers / friends!)
Race Day Information
- Don’t drive, take Lyft, Uber, Cab, get a friend to drop you off, bike it, ElliptiGO it, or walk!
- Raleigh Brewing Company – parking will be limited here, so if you want a spot, come around 6pm (or earlier)
- Meredith College – Option 1: If it doesn’t rain, you will be able to park on the grass via the Hillsborough Street entrance. Meredith Cross Country team volunteers will be helping guide you. Option 2: Main Street lot (Campus Map) – OFFICIAL PARKING LOT! You will be directed on the path to the track. If you park here, please remove your car by 11pm!
- The event is rain or shine. As long as there is no lightning, we will run!
- You can watch the weather here.
- Some light rain may postpone a “ball” game, but this can be beneficial to runners. Your best bet is to stop by Great Outdoor Provision Co. and equip yourself with some rain gear, just in case.
3. Track Etiquette
- NO ALCOHOL is allowed at Meredith Track (that’s for the pre/post party, if you’re 21)
- No spectators will be allowed on the track UNTIL AFTER the Run Club 4×400 Relay
- We WILL ALLOW people on to the track for the Women’s and the Men’s Elite Races
- If you are on the track, PLEASE STAND OUTSIDE OF LANE 5
- No pets, strollers, or unattended children will be allowed on the track/infield
- If you are on the infield, please stay 3 feet from the inside of the track. Do not encroach the runners. DO NOT TAKE A “race selfie”
- Be cautious of the FINISH LINE. You WILL NOT be able to stand near due to timing issues.
- We will have 4 porta potties (2 more than last year) behind the field house on the hill. Please refrain from using the field house bathrooms, as they are for the elite athletes.
- Have fun! Take pictures and videos! Hashtag #sirwaltermiler
4. Sir Walter Swag!
- We’ll have Commemorative Shirts, Tank Tops, Pint Glasses, Coffee, Mugs, Coozies, and more for sale (plus free stickers) by the field house (we will accept cash, credit cards, and Venmo)
- We accept donations too, as we have gone over budget to bring you this event!
5. Get Hype!
- “These runners will try to beat a 4-minute mile. They want you to come cheer them on, drink beer.” – News & Observer preview
- “Sir Walter Miler Is A Can’t Miss Event For North Carolina Track Fans Tomorrow” – MileSplit preview
- “Five Wolfpack Alumni to compete at Sir Walter Miler” – GoPack preview
- “Top Competitors And A Mullet Removal Headline Sir Walter Miler” – FloTrack preview
- Listen to Pat talk to Chris Chavez on the Citius Mag podcast about the history of the event and this years race [soundcloud url=”https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/335274751″ params=”color=ff5500&inverse=false&auto_play=false&show_user=true” width=”100%” height=”20″ iframe=”true” /]
- Read the visitRaleigh piece: Greater Raleigh Sports Spotlight: Friday Night Laps
- Read the 2015 Sports Illustrated article about the Sir Walter Miler
- Enjoy the night! You’re witnessing history!
6. Saturday – Run with the Pros at Umstead & Sir Walter “Extra” Miler!
- Come “Run with the Pros” you saw racing Friday night!
- Harrison Ave entrance – exit 287 off of I-40 – 2100 N Harrison Ave, Cary, NC 27513
- Run starts at 9:00am, and will go down Loblolly from 4 miles to longer (RSVP here)
- ElliptiGO will be on hand for demos as well! They’ll provide coffee and bagels!
- We’ll have FREE Sir Walter Miler Coffee Mugs (while they last)
- If you’re still going Saturday afternoon, head over to Tasty Beverage Company at 2pm for the Sir Walter “Extra” Miler. Tasty is located at 327 W Davie St #106, Raleigh, NC 27601. Craig Engles’ “Chop for Charity” will be happening here too!
Social Media: #SirWalterMiler | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Snapchat
Podcast: Summer of Miles on Apple Podcasts | SoundCloud | TuneIn | Stitcher | Player FM
Video: Sir Walter Running YouTube Channel | 2017 Promo Video
Past Press Releases
- Olympians, National Record Holder highlight Men’s field for 2017 Sir Walter Miler (7/18/2017)
- Deepest Women’s field yet announced for 2017 Sir Walter Miler (7/8/2017)
- Pop Up Miles Season 3 starts Tuesday; Raleigh Denim Mile added to Sir Walter Miler (6/2/2017)
- Sir Walter Running announces Strava Challenge series (4/16/2017)
- Sir Walter Miler back for 2017 with Summer and new Fall Series added (4/8/2017)