Rachel Cliff | Women’s Elite Mile
Rachel Cliff joins us from up north, so let’s be sure to show her our best southern hospitality; especially with what she has recently gone through! One thing’s for sure… there’s no Zika in Raleigh!
5 Things About Me: Rachel Cliff
- I recently graduated from my Masters in Public Health (specializing in Occupational and Environmental Hygiene) at the University of British Columbia.
- I’m petrified of flying! Unfortunately, being an elite athlete means I need to fly A LOT, so I somehow get through it.
- I was one of only 3 Canadian females to qualify for the Rio Olympics this summer in the 5000 meters, but was not selected by the Canadian governing body of Athletics and no one is running in my place. Talk to me long enough and I’ll likely share the entire story with you – whether you’d like to hear it or not ;)
- Throughout university, I had a pet rabbit; a Cadbury bunny look-alike named Jean-Pierre (he was French!). He suffered from serious congenital dental disease through most of his life, but thanks to some amazing veterinarians and numerous surgeries (including a bone graft!), he lived to be 7.5 years old. HOWEVER, I’m still paying back his vet bills to this day.
- This summer, I’m volunteering at a Marine Mammal Rescue Center in Vancouver, where orphaned seals are rescued, rehabilitated, and returned to the wild. It’s an amazing thing to be a part of. And yes, baby seals are adorable!
North Carolina connection?
I’ve never been to North Carolina, but I’m excited to see Raleigh!