John Simons | Men’s Elite Mile | Team North Carolina
John Simons joins us from the mountain of North Carolina, where he trains in Blowing Rock with Zap Fitness. He was a Big Ten Champ while at the University of Minnesota. He holds a personal best in the mile of 3:59.32. John will pace the race. Will he stay in and go for a PB after his duties are done? Come out August 7th to see for yourself…
Coach: Pete Rea
Club: Zap Fitness
5 Things About Me: John Simons
- I grew up in Wauwatosa, Wisconsin, a neighboring city to Milwaukee. In the language of the Potawatomi tribe, the word “wau-wau-tae-sie” means ‘firefly.’ That part of the Menomonee River Valley housed swarms of fireflies in the summer, hence the awesome name.
- I started my college career at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. I ran there for a year before transferring to the University of Minnesota. I graduated there in 2014.
- One of my favorite things to do is go see live music. Milwaukee is home to Summerfest, which is still the World’s Largest Music Festival.
- Baseball is still my favorite sport. I dream that one day I will get to throw out the first pitch at Miller Park, the home of the Milwaukee Brewers.
- During my Senior year of school at the U of M, we had 30 straight days where the high temperature was below zero. It was pretty brutal, but it made us tough because we all ran outside in it every day.