The 2018 Sir Walter Miler will once again take place at the Meredith College track, with the Pre and Post race party happening at Raleigh Brewing Company, starting at 6pm. Wicked Weed (Run for El Dorado Pale Ale) and Raleigh Brewing (Sir Sandman Kolsch) will have exclusive runner-friendly beers on tap to raise money for the Kay Yow Cancer Fund, and Bo’s Kitchen, Arepa Culture, and Webby’s Shaved Ice food trucks will be in the Raleigh Brewing parking lot!
Friday, August 3rd is race day! We hope you can make it out for the 5th Annual Sir Walter Miler. If you plan on coming, please RSVP on Facebook. Want to attend the “Dinner with the Pros” or watch the race as a “Very Important Spectator,” check out the Merch page for details. While you’re at it, follow us on Twitter, Instagram, and like the event on Facebook. The official hashtag is #sirwaltermiler
For those of you coming, below are some Race Day tips. If you have a specific question, email us at SirWalterRunning@gmail.com
Want to help Volunteer? Sign up here
- Episode 23 – Pop Up Miles Championship Recap and the start of Sir Walter Miler season
- Episode 24 – 2018 Sir Walter Miler Elite Women’s Field with Jeff Caron
- Episode 25 – 2018 Sir Walter Miler Elite Men’s Field with Stephen Furst
- Episode 26 – Raleigh Brewing Company and Kay Yow Cancer Fund
- Episode 27 – Sam Prakel and Jamie Morrissey kick off 2018 Sir Walter Miler Athlete interviews
- Episode 28 – Charlie Marquardt and the “Top 5 Sir Walter Miler Moments”
- Episode 29 – Stephanie Garcia and the GO4it Film (Connor “Merk” Mercurio & Jimmy Stevenson)
- Episode 30 – Pat Casey and Hassan Mead talk “Summer of Denials”
- Episode 31 – 2018 Sir Walter Miler Race Day Information
THE SIR WALTER MILER IS FREE AND OPEN TO THE PUBLIC!
Race Day Schedule and fields
6:00pm – Pre-party starts at Raleigh Brewing Company
8:00pm – Racing starts at Meredith
8:10pm – Summer of Miles podcast presents the Run Club Miler
|Run Club||Runner #1||Runner #2|
|Bond Brothers Run Club||Christian Daniels||Sarah Rapp|
|Trophy Run Club||Omer Abdulrahman||Kate Mueller|
|#ponyrun||Spencer Husen||Cheryl Moy|
|#mondaycrew||Zoe Wade||John Hiller|
|White Street Running Club||Emmett Santillo||Casey Turro|
|Carolina Godiva TC||Leif Rasmussen||Roxanne Springer|
|Bull City Track Club||Evan Gates||Hana Baskin|
|Runologie||Alan Freeman||Kristin Andrews|
|Raleigh Distance Project||Andie Cozzarelli||Rita Beard|
|F3/FiA Raleigh||Adam Pope||Marion Price|
|Life Time Run Cary||Kellyn Cassell||Eleni Rundle|
|Life Time Run Raleigh||Doug Rumford||Ashley Griffith|
|Beer Run at Oak City Brewing||Tom Clancy||Shannon Hurd|
|Citius Mag TC||Chris Chavez||Sarah Duffy|
|Holly Springs Run Club||Joe Barrett||Renee Potts|
|B3TC||Hannag Stallkamp||Mark Manz|
|Rocky Mount Mills Run Club||Henry Forrester||Kayla Scherf|
|NC State Club||Matthew Staehle||Sara Bigelow|
|House of Hops Run Club||Wes Mickler||Brianne Boldrin|
|Raleigh Brewing (RBC) Run Club||Matt Mansell||Rebecca Hughes|
|North Carolina Roadrunners Club||Omar Wiggan||Molly Lohry|
|Run Raleigh PT||Rodney Bizzell||Michelle Clark|
|nOg Run Club||Cole Kraft||Winnie Aber|
Connor “Merk” Mercurio (GO4IT Film)
8:20pm – Sir Walter Running presents the Run Club 4x400m Relay (Heat 1)
|Citius Mag TC
Holly Springs Run Club
Rocky Mount Mills Run Club
NC State Club
|House of Hops Run Club
Life Time Run Raleigh
Raleigh Brewing (RBC) Run Club
North Carolina Roadrunners Club
Run Raleigh PT
nOg Run Club
8:30pm – Sir Walter Running presents the Run Club 4x400m Relay (Heat 2)
|Bond Brothers Run Club
Trophy Run Club
Carolina Godiva TC
Raleigh Distance Project
Bull City Track Club
White Street Running Club
Oak City Recovery Run Club
Life Time Run Cary
Beer Run at Oak City Brewing
8:45pm – Fans can enter the track area
9:00pm – National Anthem
9:05pm – Women’s Elite Mile (click name for bio)
- Sarah Brown – Team New Balance
- Amanda Eccleston – Brooks
- Stephanie Garcia – Team New Balance (interview on Summer of Miles podcast)
- Sammy George – Raleigh Distance Project
- Lauren Johnson – adidas / BAA
- Megan Mansy – HOKA / NJNYTC
- Angel Piccirillo – Juventus TC
- Nicole Sifuentes – Saucony
- Kate Van Buskirk – Nike
- Sara Vaughn
- Heather Wilson – HOKA / NJNYTC
- Cory McGee – Team New Balance
- Charlene Lipsey – adidas
- Katrina Coogan – New Balance Boston
- Jamie Morrissey – True Blue Elite (Pacer) (interview on Summer of Miles podcast)
9:20pm – Men’s Elite Mile (click name for bio)
- Craig Engels – Nike / Nike Oregon Project
- Cristian Soratos – adidas
- Lopez Lomong – Nike / Bowerman Track Club
- Robert Domanic
- Pat Casey – Under Armour
- Graham Crawford – HOKA / NJNYTC
- Johnny Gregorek – ASICS
- Ben Blankenship – Nike / Oregon Track Club
- Sean McGorty
- Hassan Mead – Nike / Oregon Track Club
- Jacob Thomson – adidas / BAA
- Charlie Marquardt – Bryn Mawr Running Co. (interview on Summer of Miles podcast)
- Henry Dwyer
- Sam Prakel (interview on Summer of Miles podcast)
- Ben Malone
- Jesse Garn – HOKA / NJNYTC (Pacer)
9:30pm – Awards Ceremony on the Meredith College Track
9:45pm – Postrun party starts at Raleigh Brewing Company
Race Day Information
- Don’t drive, take Lyft, Uber, Cab, get a friend to drop you off, bike it, ElliptiGO it, or walk!
- Raleigh Brewing Company – parking will be limited here, so if you want a spot, come around 6pm (or earlier)
- Meredith College – If you park here, enter through the Faircloth Street lot. You can park anywhere on campus, but not on the grass (Campus Map).
- The event is rain or shine. As long as there is no lightning, we will run!
- You can watch the weather here.
- Some light rain may postpone a “ball” game, but this can be beneficial to runners.
3. Track Etiquette
- NO ALCOHOL is allowed at Meredith Track (that’s for the pre/post party, if you’re 21)
- No spectators will be allowed on the track UNTIL AFTER the Run Club 4×400 Relay
- We WILL ALLOW people on to the track for the Women’s and the Men’s Elite Races
- If you are on the track, PLEASE STAND OUTSIDE OF LANE 5
- No pets, strollers, or unattended children will be allowed on the track/infield
- If you are on the infield, please stay 3 feet from the inside of the track. Do not encroach the runners. DO NOT TAKE A “race selfie”
- Be cautious of the FINISH LINE. You WILL NOT be able to stand near due to timing issues.
- We will have 6 porta potties (2 more than last year) behind the field house on the hill. Please refrain from using the field house bathrooms, as they are for the elite athletes.
- Have fun! Take pictures and videos! Hashtag #sirwaltermiler
4. Sir Walter Swag!
- We’ll have Commemorative Shirts, Tank Tops, postrun Polos, Pint Glasses, and more for sale (plus free stickers) by the field house (we will accept cash, credit cards, and Venmo)
- We accept donations too, as we have gone over budget to bring you this event!
5. Get Hype!
- “How Sir Walter Miler Became The Track Meet You Can’t Miss” – NCRunners (8/2/18)
- “Lipsey Moves Up In Distance; Engels Battles Tough Men’s Field At Sir Walter” – FloTrack
- Pat discusses Sir Walter and the Top 5 Moments in NC Running History on the Sports Channel 8 Radio Show
- Read the 2015 Sports Illustrated article about the Sir Walter Miler
- Enjoy the night! You’re witnessing history!
6. Saturday – Run with the Pros at Umstead & Sir Walter “Extra” Miler!
- Come “Run with the Pros” you saw racing Friday night!
- Harrison Ave entrance – exit 287 off of I-40 – 2100 N Harrison Ave, Cary, NC 27513
- Run starts at 9:00am, and will go down Loblolly from 4 miles to longer (RSVP here)
- Rise – Cameron Village has donated biscuits, donuts, and coffee!
- ElliptiGO will be on hand for demos as well!
- If you’re still going Saturday afternoon, head over to Tasty Beverage Company at 4pm for the Sir Walter “Extra” Miler. Tasty is located at 327 W Davie St #106, Raleigh, NC 27601. (RSVP here)
Past Press Releases
- Final fields set for 2018 Sir Walter Miler
- Sir Walter Miler returns for fifth year with deepest fields to date