Looking for 2016 Sir Walter Miler results, photos, and videos of the races? GO HERE!
The 2016 Sir Walter Miler will once again take place at the Meredith College track, with the pre and post race party happening at Raleigh Brewing Company. Trophy Brewing Co. (Darryl Strawberry Spring Ale), Wicked Weed (Lunatic Blonde), Bond Brothers (Cary Gold), and Raleigh Brewing (Big Squeeze Firkin’) will have runner-friendly beers on tap to raise money for Friends of the Mountains to Sea Trail. Craig Thompson of Old Habits will be playing tunes in the parking lot before and after the races (and will sing the National Anthem), and the BO’s Kitchen and Rollin Dogs food trucks will be in the Raleigh Brewing parking lot as well!
Friday, August 5th is race day! We hope you can make it out tonight for the 3rd annual Sir Walter Miler. If you plan on coming, please RSVP on Facebook. While you’re at it, follow us on Twitter, Instagram, and like the event on Facebook. The official hashtag is #miler16
THE SIR WALTER MILER IS FREE AND OPEN TO THE PUBLIC!
We have our best field yet in 2016! Get to know the athletes! (Bios are located here) If you aren’t going to be in Raleigh, please check it out the event live on FloTrack Pro and follow the Live Results.
For those of you coming, below are some Race Day tips. If you have a specific question, email us at SirWalterRunning@gmail.com
Race Day Schedule and fields
6:00pm – Pre-party starts at Raleigh Brewing Company
7:15pm – Craig Thompson of Old Habits plays an hour set
(click above for who is running on each team)
Big Boss Run Club
Bond Brothers Run Club
Bull City Track Club
Fullsteam Ahead! Run Club
Raleigh Galloway Training Program
Holly Springs Run Club
Life Time Run – Cary
Life Time Run – Raleigh
Nog Run Club
North Carolina Roadrunners Club
River Run Club
Runologie Run Club
The Bone & Joint Surgery Clinic
Trophy Run Club
8:45pm – Fans can enter the track area
9:00pm – National Anthem
9:05pm – Women’s Elite Mile (click name for bio)
Stephanie Brown – Nike
- Rachel Cliff – Asics
- Amanda Eccleston – Brooks
- Lianne Farber – New Balance NorCal
- Brook Handler – Saucony
- Lauren Johnson
- Heather Kampf – Asics / Team USA MN
- Cory McGee – New Balance
- Shannon Osika – Saucony
- Sarah Rapp – Pop Up Miles Champ
- Rachel Schneider – Under Armour
- Nicole Tully – Hoka One One / NJ-NY TC
- Morgan Uceny – adidas
- Sara Vaughn – Brooks / Boulder Track Club
- Steph Herrick – Central Park Track Club New Balance (pace)
9:15pm – Men’s Elite Mile (click name for bio)
Colby Alexander – Hoka One One / NJ-NY TC
- Jack Bolas – NJ-NY TC
- Mikey Brannigan – NYAC
- Donnie Cowart – Saucony
- Chris Derrick – Nike
- Graham Crawford – SWHP
- Johnny Gregorek – Asics
- Brandon Hudgins – Vasculitis Foundation
- Drew Hunter – adidas
- Cory Leslie – Nike / Furman Elite
- Kyle Merber – Hoka One One / NJ-NY TC
- Ford Palmer – Hoka One One / NJ-NY TC
- Morgan Pearson
- Blake Williams – Pop Up Miles Champ
- Lex Williams – Saucony
- Craig Forys – Furman Elite (pace)
9:30pm – Awards Ceremony at Meredith College Track
9:45pm – Post-party starts at Raleigh Brewing Company (Meet your favorite runners / beers / friends!)
10:00pm – Craig Thompson plays second set at post-party
Race Day Information
- Don’t drive, take Lyft, Uber, Taxi Taxi, a Cab, get a friend to drop you off, bike it, ElliptiGO it, or walk and catch Pokemon on the way
- Raleigh Brewing Company – parking will be limited here, so if you want a spot, come around 6pm (or earlier)
- Meredith College – Faircloth Street lot (Campus Map) – OFFICIAL PARKING LOT! You will be directed on the path to the track. If you park here, please remove your car by 11pm!
- The event is rain or shine. As long as there is no lightning, we will run!
- Right now, there’s a 20% chance of showers. You can watch the weather here.
- Some light rain may postpone a “ball” game, but this can be beneficial to runners. Your best bet is to stop by Great Outdoor Provision Co. and equip yourself with some rain gear, just in case.
3. Track Etiquette
- NO ALCOHOL is allowed at Meredith Track (that’s for the pre/post party, if you’re 21)
- No spectators will be allowed on the track UNTIL AFTER the Run Club 4×400 Relay
- We WILL ALLOW people on to the track for the Women’s and the Men’s Elite Races
- If you are on the track, PLEASE STAND OUTSIDE OF LANE 5
- No pets, strollers, or unattended children will be allowed on the track/infield
- If you are on the infield, please stay 3 feet from the inside of the track. Do not encroach the runners. DO NOT TAKE A “race selfie”
- DO NOT PLAY POKEMON GO ON THE INFIELD. If you go outside the fences, go crazy. Get a Pikachu.
- Be cautious of the FINISH LINE. You WILL NOT be able to stand near due to timing issues.
- We will have 4 porta potties (2 more than last year) behind the field house on the hill. Please refrain from using the field house bathrooms, as they are for the elite athletes.
- Have fun! Take pictures and videos! Hashtag #miler16
4. Sir Walter Swag!
- We’ll have Tech Shirts, Tank Tops, Pint Glasses, Coozies, and more for sale by the field house (we will accept cash and credit cards)
- We accept donations too, as we have gone over budget to bring you this event!
5. Get Hype!
- “Race gives runners chance to beat elusive 4-minute mile” – News & Observer
- “Race under the lights at Sir Walter Miler Friday” – WRAL (8/5/16)
- “Making U.S. Track Great Again with Sir Walter Miler’s Pat Price” (podcast) – FloTrack
- “Very Fast Feet: Friday in Raleigh, Watch the Fastest Runners Outside of Rio” – Raleigh Agenda
- Pros Back for Redemption at Sir Walter Miler (FloTrack)
- Read the 2015 Sports Illustrated article about the Sir Walter Miler
- Watch the 2016 Sir Walter Miler Trailer Video (made by our intern, Grayson Holmes)
- Enjoy the night! You’re witnessing history!
6. Saturday Morning – Run with the Pros at Umstead, ElliptiGO demo, Free Sir Walter Miler Coffee Mugs!
- Come “Run with the Pros” you saw racing Friday night!
- Andie Cozzarelli will lead a group run from Umstead Park (Harrison Ave entrance – exit 287 off of I-40)
- Run starts at 9:00am, and will go down Loblolly from 4 miles to longer (RSVP here)
- ElliptiGO will be on hand for demos as well! They’ll provide coffee and bagels!
- We’ll have FREE Sir Walter Miler Coffee Mugs (while they last)
- If you’re still going Saturday afternoon… check out Rita’s Run Wild Beer Run
Social Media: #miler16 | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | YouTube
Video: 2013 Sandman Mile | 2014 Women’s Race | 2014 Men’s Race | 2015 Coverage | 2016 Trailer
Past Press Releases
- July 26, 2016 – Brannigan, Cliff, Derrick, and McGee added to 2016 Sir Walter Miler fields
- July 15, 2016 – Initial fields announced for 2016 Sir Walter Miler
- June 2, 2016 – USATF NC Open Mile State Championship added to 2016 Sir Walter Miler
- April 21, 2016 – Sir Walter Miler returns in 2016 with expanded Pop Up Miles and the Raleigh RunDown Downhill Mile Road Race
For more information, sponsorship information, or interview requests, contact Pat Price at firstname.lastname@example.org and 919.260.8013