Final fields set for 2023 Sir Walter Miler
August 1, 2023 – Raleigh, North Carolina – Sir Walter Running is excited to announce the final elite fields for the 2023 Sir Walter Miler. The international field consists of recent and past National Champions and alumni from local colleges.
The “Miler” returns in its tenth year to its standard first Friday night spot on August 4, 2023, back at Meredith College.
“We have come a long way in 10 years and are very grateful for all the runners and fans who have experienced the Sir Walter Miler during this past decade. We have a lot more to give and look forward to showing off the amazing running community for years to come,” said Sandy Roberts, co-founder of the event, which started in 2013 as the Sandman Mile.
The Men’s Elite Field is highlighted by three athletes that have run 3:34 in the 1500 meters: 2021 returnee Eric Holt, 2023 Portland Track Fest Champ Amon Kemboi, and a resurgent Andy Bayer, who won the mile at the 2012 NCAA Indoor Championships. Last year the race was won by now indoor American Record Holder, Yared Nuguse, in a State Record time of 3:53.34.
The Women’s Elite Field hosts a trio of athletes from HOKA NAZ Elite, including 4:26 miler Abby Nichols and 2023 USATF Outdoor Steeplechase Champion, Krissy Gear, who also boasts a 4:26 personal best in the mile. Last year the race was won by now America Record Holder, Nikki Hiltz, in a State Record time of 4:21.89.
The Sir Walter Miler is free and open to the public and will be broadcast live on RunnerSpace.com.
Runologie will be sponsoring an on-field tailgate at Meredith College at 7pm, with free swag, games, food and beverages, while they last. Raleigh Brewing Company will host a pre and post party.
The 2023 Sir Walter Miler features $10,000 in guaranteed prize money, plus bonus incentives. The Sir Walter Miler has had 69 sub 4:00 performances on the Men’s side and 28 sub 4:30 performances on the Women’s since its inception in 2014. The last time the 4:00 barrier was broken in Raleigh before then was 1974. No female had broken 4:30 in North Carolina before 2015.
The 2023 Sir Walter Miler weekend will consist of events from Wednesday through Saturday, starting Wednesday morning with a group run at 8am and then an Athlete Panel at 7pm, both held at Runologie.
Another exciting announcement is the creation of Record Jogger Brewing Company, in partnership with Wake Forest’s Blackbird Brewery. On Thursday afternoon, a launch of the “Local Miler Lager” will be held at Tasty Beverage Co.
“For 10 years, the Sir Walter Miler has brought the best milers in the world to Raleigh on the first Friday of August. The Sir Walter Miler was born and endures because of a local running scene that thrives on, and supports excellence. We wanted to create a beer and brand that matched the event,” said Sir Walter Running and Record Jogger co-founder Pat Price. More info can be found at recordjogger.com
Saturday morning is the traditional “Run with the Pros,” which will be held at the WakeMed Cross Country Course. On Saturday night, the Raleigh RunDown Downhill Mile will be held on Centennial Parkway, followed by awards and a post-race party at Trophy Brewing on Maywood. Sign ups are at RaleighRunDown.com
More information on all these events can be found at SirWalterMiler.com
Sponsors of the 2023 Sir Walter Miler are Waverly Hematology Oncology, Think Promotional Group, Greater Raleigh Sports Alliance, North Raleigh Family Eyecare, ElliptiGO, Athletic Brewing Co., Sanctuary Vineyards, Trophy Brewing Co., ChicknLegs, LMNT, and Record Jogger Brewing Company.
The Sir Walter Miler is directed and promoted by Sir Walter Running, a Raleigh-based 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization whose mission is to “bring the Greater Raleigh running community together through innovation, activation, and inclusivity.” Sir Walter Running is a USATF club that produces the Pop Up Miles series, the Raleigh RunDown Downhill Mile, the Raleigh (Holiday) Half Marathon, the Tour de Walter, and the aforementioned Summer of Miles podcast.
For more information, sponsorship information, or interview requests, contact Pat Price at email@example.com and 919-783-7660
7:00pm – Sir Walter Miler Tailgate by Runologie
8:30pm – Coaches Clash
- Alan Sigmon – Bunker Hill
- Alan Baddour – East Chapel Hill High School
- Andie Cozzarelli – Run4ACozz
- Tracie Rodriguez – Run4ACozz
- Ericka Charles – Durham School of the Arts
- Hana Baskin – East Chapel Hill High School
- Justin Sink – East Davidson High School
- Kelly Kennedy – Cape Fear Academy
- Omar Wiggin – Trinity Academy
- Richard Berger – Leesville Road High School
- Tim Surface – NRCA
- Jim Van Veen – Ravenscroft
- Erasmo Ordonez – Louisburg College
8:40pm – Run Club 4x400m Relay
- Fleet Feet Raleigh
- Pace Yourself Holly Springs
- Triangle Run Smart
- Raleigh Distance Project
- cRUNk Crank Arm Running
- Laboratory Run Club
- Nog Run Club
- Runologie TC
- Pelagic Run Club
- Run Raleigh Brick
- Team Ponyrun
- Bond Brothers
- Bull City Running
8:45pm – Fans can enter the track area
9:00pm – National Anthem
9:15pm – Women’s Elite Mile (click name for bio)
- Abby Nichols – HOKA NAZ Elite
- Krissy Gear – HOKA NAZ Elite
- Katie Wasserman – HOKA NAZ Elite
- Laurie Barton – Brooks Beasts TC
- Katie Camarena
- Micaela DeGenero – Puma
- Jenn Randall – Tracksmith (Summer of Miles podcast interview)
- Gina McNamara – GRC / New Balance
- Taylor Werner – Puma Elite
- Logan Jolly – Asics (Summer of Miles podcast interview)
- Lauren Berman – Tracksmith
- Madie Boreman – Oiselle
- Stefanie Parsons
- Ellie Leather (Pacer) – Under Armour
9:30pm – Men’s Elite Mile (click name for bio)
- Amon Kemboi – Puma Elite
- Eric Holt – Empire Elite (Summer of Miles podcast interview)
- Jesse Hunt
- Ryan Adams – Furman Elite
- Andy Bayer – On (Summer of Miles podcast interview)
- Craig Nowak
- Ben Allen – Empire Elite
- Billy Hill – Garden State TC
- Miles Smith – Peninsula Distance Club
- Dan Schaffer – ZAP Endurance (Summer of Miles podcast interview)
- Jack Pinho – BAA Racing Team
- Mick Stanovsek (Pacer) – Puma Elite
9:40pm – Awards Ceremony on the Meredith College Track
9:55pm – Post Party starts at Raleigh Brewing Company
Some history on the Sir Walter Miler:
- When the event was created, the last sub 4:00 mile seen in Raleigh was run in 1974. Since 2014, the Sir Walter Miler has hosted 69 sub 4:00 performances on the Men’s side..
- Before the Sir Walter Miler, no Woman had ever run under 4:30 in the Mile in Raleigh, or the state of North Carolina. Since then, we have seen 28 Women break the hallowed barrier at the event.
- In 2015, Sports Illustrated called the event the “Future Model of American Track & Field”
- In 2016, Paralympic Gold Medalist Mikey Brannigan became the first (and only to this day) T20 athlete to break the 4:00 barrier, running 3:57.58.
- In 2018, all 13 finishers in the Men’s Elite Mile broke 4:00, which tied for the most in a single race.
- In 2021, 9 Women broke the 4:30 barrier, including 8 Americans, the highest number in a single race.
- The Women’s Record is 4:21.89 (Nikki Hiltz ’22) and the Men’s Record is 3:53.34 (Yared Nuguse ’22).