Initial Elite Fields set for 2022 Sir Walter Miler
July 16, 2022 – Raleigh, North Carolina – Sir Walter Running is excited to announce the initial Men’s and Women’s Elite Fields for the 2022 Sir Walter Miler, which will be held in its traditional First Friday spot on Friday, August 5, 2022. The event will again be held at Cardinal Gibbons High School for 2022; the place where the event got its start in 2013, with the Sandman Mile, an event where Sir Walter Running Co-Founder, Sandy Roberts, took aim at the sub 4:00 mile.
“Once again, Raleigh is excited to host and invite the running world into our community for the 8th edition of the Sir Walter Miler. What started as a dream deferred, has blossomed into making dreams a reality, and we are anticipating another stellar experience for all the runners and fans alike,” said Roberts.
The 2022 Elite fields include past Olympians, National Champions, and notable alumni from local colleges.
The Men’s Elite Field is highlighted by multiple returnees, 5 athletes looking to break 4:00 for the first time, and new professionals. One of those new pros is Yared Nuguse. Just over a year ago, while attending Notre Dame, Nuguse set the NCAA Record in the 1500 meters (3:34.68) at NC State’s Paul Derr Track at the 2021 ACC Championships. He went on to make the US Olympic Team in the same event, before breaking the 3000 meter indoor record (7:38.13) this past Winter. He just signed to run professionally with On Running and On Athletics Club. Men’s Elite Coordinator, Stephen Furst, discusses the initial field on Episode 74 of the Summer of Miles podcast; a podcast devoted to promoting the event.
The Women’s Elite Field hosts a trio of former athletes from NC State (Elly Henes, Hannah Steelman, Megan Mansy) and a duo from Stanford (Rebecca Mehra, Christina Aragon), as well as a past Champion (Charlene Lipsey ’18), and Jamaican Olympian, Aisha Praught-Leer. Women’s Elite Coordinator, Jeff Caron, discusses the inital field on Episode 73 of the Summer of Miles podcast.
The event will again be broadcast on RunnerSpace.com. Broadcasting legend Larry Rawson and 2016 Olympian Colleen Quigley will be in Raleigh to broadcast the event on site, and will attend the below events surrounding the 2022 Sir Walter Miler.
The 2022 Sir Walter Miler weekend will consist of events from Wednesday through Saturday, starting with a new event on Wednesday night at Runologie. On Wednesday, a group run will be followed by an Elite Athlete Panel; free and open to everyone. The Athlete Dinner will follow on Thursday. On Friday night, the Sir Walter Miler be at Cardinal Gibbons High School, with the standard Post Race Party at Raleigh Brewing Company. Before the Elite Races, the Run Club 4×400 Meter Relay, as well as the return of the COROS Coaches Clash, an event where local Coaches will represent their programs in a mile race, will be held. Saturday morning will bring the “Run with the Pros” at Umstead Park. On Saturday night, the Raleigh RunDown Downhill Mile will be held on Centennial Parkway, followed by awards and a post-race party at Trophy Brewing on Maywood.
Sir Walter Miler Weekend Schedule
- Wednesday – AM: Run & Coffee at Pine State Coffee with Special Guests. PM: Mini Track Meet & Athlete Panel at Runologie
- Thursday – Elite Athlete Dinner
- Friday – Sir Walter Miler
- Saturday – AM: Run with the Pros. PM: Raleigh RunDown Downhill Mile
The Sir Walter Miler is FREE for the public to attend. More information is available at sirwaltermiler.com
Sir Walter Miler Schedule
8:30pm – COROS Coaches Clash
8:40pm – Run Club 4×400 Relay presented by North Raleigh Family Eyecare
- 8:45pm – Fans allowed on infield to line the track
9:00pm – National Anthem
9:15pm – Women’s Elite Mile
9:30pm – Men’s Elite Mile
Some history on the Sir Walter Miler:
- When the event was created, the last sub 4:00 mile seen in Raleigh was run in 1974. Since 2014, the Sir Walter Miler has hosted 57 sub 4:00 performances on the Men’s side..
- Before the Sir Walter Miler, no Woman had ever run under 4:30 in the Mile in Raleigh, or the state of North Carolina. Since then, we have seen 25 Women break the hallowed barrier at the event.
- In 2015, Sports Illustrated called the event the “Future Model of American Track & Field”
- In 2016, Paralympic Gold Medalist Mikey Brannigan became the first (and only to this day) T20 athlete to break the 4:00 barrier, running 3:57.58.
- In 2018, all 13 finishers in the Men’s Elite Mile broke 4:00, which tied for the most in a single race.
- In 2021, 9 Women broke the 4:30 barrier, including 8 Americans, the highest number in a single race.
- The Women’s Record is 4:25.04 (Lauren Johnson ’16) and the Men’s Record is 3:53.86 (Lopez Lomong ’18).
2022 Initial Sir Walter Miler Elite Women’s Field
- Christina Aragon
- Katie Camarena
- Eleanor Fulton
- Elly Henes – adidas
- Nikki Hiltz – lululemon
- Gabbi Jennings – adidas (Summer of Miles podcast interview)
- Charlene Lipsey – Tracksmith
- Megan Mansy
- Aisha Praught-Leer – Puma (Summer of Miles podcast interview)
- Emily Richards – Tracksmith
- Helen Schlachtenhaufen – Nike
- Hannah Steelman – On Running
- Maddie Strandemo – Oiselle / Little Wing
- Laurie Barton (Pacer) – Brooks Beasts
2022 Initial Sir Walter Miler Elite Men’s Field
- Benjamin Allen – Empire Elite TC
- Amos Bartelsmeyer – Nike Bowerman Elite
- Alec Basten
- Vincent Ciattei – Nike Oregon TC
- Jonathan Davis – Atlanta Track Club Elite
- Jye Edwards – adidas
- Rob Heppenstall (Summer of Miles podcast interview)
- Rorey Hunter – adidas
- Festus Lagat – Under Armour
- Sean McGorty – Nike Bowerman Elite
- Dan Michalski – Nike
- Yared Nuguse – On Athletics Club (Summer of Miles podcast interview)
- Sam Prakel – adidas
- Paul Ryan – adidas
- Matt Wisner – New Generation T&F (Summer of Miles podcast interview)
- Isaiah Harris (Pacer) – Brooks Beasts
Sponsors of the 2022 Sir Walter Miler are Waverly Hematology Oncology, Think Promotional Group, Greater Raleigh Sports Alliance, COROS, North Raleigh Family Eyecare, ElliptiGO, Athletic Brewing Co., Sanctuary Vineyards, LMNT, and JDL Fast Track.
The Sir Walter Miler is directed and promoted by Sir Walter Running, a Raleigh-based 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization whose mission is to “bring the Greater Raleigh running community together through innovation, activation, and inclusivity.” Sir Walter Running is a USATF club that produces the Pop Up Miles series, the Raleigh RunDown Downhill Mile, the Raleigh (Holiday) Half Marathon, the Tour de Walter, and the aforementioned Summer of Miles podcast.
Press Contact / Sponsorship Inquiries: Pat Price email@example.com 919-783-7660
Photo: Justin Hall