Note: This page will be updated frequently with new information!
The 2019 Sir Walter Miler will once again take place at the Meredith College track, with the Pre and Post race party happening at Raleigh Brewing Company, starting at 6pm. Wicked Weed (Summer of Miles Pale Ale) and Raleigh Brewing (Sir Sandman Kolsch) will have exclusive runner-friendly beers on tap to raise money for the Kay Yow Cancer Fund, and the Bo’s Kitchen and Tacos Mama Chava Food Trucks in the Raleigh Brewing parking lot!
Friday, August 2nd is race day! We hope you can make it out for the 6th Annual Sir Walter Miler. If you plan on coming, please RSVP on Facebook. Want to attend the “Dinner with the Pros” or watch the race as a “Very Important Spectator,” check out the Merch page for details. While you’re at it, follow us on Twitter, Instagram, and like the event on Facebook. The official hashtag is #sirwaltermiler
For those of you coming, below are some Race Day tips. If you have a specific question, email us at SirWalterRunning@gmail.com
- Episode 47 – 2019 Sir Walter Miler Weekend Information
- Episode 46 – 2019 Sir Walter Miler – Rebecca Mehra interview
- Episode 45 – 2019 Sir Walter Miler – Aaron Templeton interview
- Episode 44 – 2019 Sir Walter Miler – Stephanie Garcia interview
- Episode 43 – 2019 Sir Walter Miler Elite Men’s Field Announcement
- Episode 42 – 2019 Sir Walter Miler Elite Women’s Field Announcement
THE SIR WALTER MILER IS FREE AND OPEN TO THE PUBLIC!
Learn all you need to know about Sir Walter Weekend on the Summer of Miles podcast!
Get to know the athletes! If you aren’t going to be in Raleigh, please check it out the event live on FloTrack
Race Day Schedule and fields
6:00pm – Pre-party starts at Raleigh Brewing Company
8:00pm – Racing starts at Meredith
8:10pm – Croc-O-Mile
- Nadia Rahman
- Sean Nicol
- Eli Moskowitz (Life Time Run Cary)
- AJ Tucker (Bond Brothers)
- Emma Lee Frizsell
- Clay Summers
- Joshua Sutterfield
- Nils Menz
- Sarah Rapp (Chapel Hill RRC)
- Erin Scanlon (Deep River Brewing)
- Spencer Husen
- Mikhail A Harris
- Candice Cunningham (Holly Springs Run Club)
- Brian Dodd (Nog Run Club)
- Daniel Police
- Joshua Dwight
- Katie Welsh
- Kate Mueller
- Jans Tecun
8:20pm – Run Club 4x400m Relay
- Life Time Raleigh
- North Carolina Roadrunners Club
- Chapel Hill Recovery Run Club
- Oak City Recovery Run Club
- Pace Yourself Run Company
- Life Time Run Cary
- Holly Springs Run Club
- Cool Kids Run
- Bull City TC
- Raleigh Distance Project
8:30pm – Pub Run 4x400m Relay
- Beer Run At Oak City Brewing
- Deep River Brewing
- Nog Run Club
- House of Hops Run Club
- Raleigh Brewing Company
- Bond Brothers Beer Co.
- Trophy Brewing Co.
8:45pm – Fans can enter the track area
9:00pm – National Anthem
9:05pm – Women’s Elite Mile (click name for bio)
- Lauren Johnson – adidas / Boston Athletic Association
- Heather Kampf – Team USA MN
- Stephanie Garcia – New Balance
- Cory McGee – New Balance
- Heidi See – Mission AC
- Jessica Harris – Nike
- Rebecca Mehra – Oiselle / Little Wing
- Therese Haiss – adidas / The Mission AC
- Taryn Rawlings
- Millie Paladino – New Balance / Ocean State AC
- Sammy George (Pop Up Miles Champion) – Oiselle / Raleigh Distance Project
- Angel Piccirillo (Pacer) – Juventus TC
9:20pm – Men’s Elite Mile (click name for bio)
- Eric Avila – adidas / The Mission AC
- Patrick Joseph – Tinman Elite
- Craig Nowak – Furman Elite
- Sam Prakel – adidas
- James Randon – Saucony / Freedom TC
- David Ribich – Brooks Beasts TC
- Aaron Templeton
- Darius Terry – Hoka Aggies RC
- Chris O’Hare
- Robert Domanic – Reebok Boston TC
- Donnie Cowart
- James Quattlebaum (Pop Up Miles Champion)
- Vince Ciattei (Pacer) – Nike Oregon TC
9:30pm – Awards Ceremony on the Meredith College Track
9:45pm – Party starts at Raleigh Brewing Company
Race Day Information
- Don’t drive, take Lyft, Uber, Cab, get a friend to drop you off, bike it, ElliptiGO it, or walk!
- Raleigh Brewing Company – parking will be limited here, so if you want a spot, come around 6pm (or earlier)
- Meredith College – If you park here, enter through the Faircloth Street lot. You can park anywhere on campus, but not on the grass (Campus Map).
- The event is rain or shine. As long as there is no lightning, we will run!
- You can watch the weather here.
- Some light rain may postpone a “ball” game, but this can be beneficial to runners.
3. Track Etiquette
- NO ALCOHOL is allowed at Meredith Track (that’s for the pre/post party, if you’re 21)
- No spectators will be allowed on the track UNTIL AFTER the Run Club 4×400 Relay
- We WILL ALLOW people on to the track for the Women’s and the Men’s Elite Races
- If you are on the track, PLEASE STAND OUTSIDE OF LANE 5
- No pets, strollers, or unattended children will be allowed on the track/infield
- If you are on the infield, please stay 3 feet from the inside of the track. Do not encroach the runners. DO NOT TAKE A “race selfie”
- Be cautious of the FINISH LINE. You WILL NOT be able to stand near due to timing issues.
- We will have 6 porta potties (2 more than last year) behind the field house on the hill. Please refrain from using the field house bathrooms, as they are for the elite athletes.
- Have fun! Take pictures and videos! Hashtag #sirwaltermiler
4. Sir Walter Swag!
- We’ll have Commemorative Hats, Mugs, Shirts, Towels, Nike Miler Singlets, Tank Tops, Pint Glasses, and more for sale (plus free stickers) by the field house (we will accept cash, credit cards, and Venmo)
- We accept donations too!
5. Get Hype!
- Podcast: Pat Price talks about Sir Walter Miler and it’s history – Podcast Raleigh (8/1/2019)
- “Sammy George represents locals in Raleigh’s Sir Walter Miler running event” – News & Observer (8/1/2019)
- “Four Minutes to the Wind” – Raleigh Magazine (6/30/2019)
- “How Sir Walter Miler Became The Track Meet You Can’t Miss” – NCRunners (8/2/18)
- Read the 2015 Sports Illustrated article about the Sir Walter Miler
- Enjoy the night! You’re witnessing history!
6. Saturday – Run with the Pros at Umstead
- Come “Rise and Run with the Pros” you saw racing Friday night!
- Harrison Ave entrance – exit 287 off of I-40 – 2100 N Harrison Ave, Cary, NC 27513
- Run starts at 9:00am, and will go down Loblolly from 4 miles to longer (RSVP here)
- Rise – Cameron Village has donated biscuits and donuts!
- ElliptiGO will be on hand for demos as well!
Past Press Releases
- Press Release: Final fields set for 2019 Sir Walter Miler (7/31/2019)
- 2019 Initial Sir Walter Miler Elite Men’s Field Announced (7/18/2019)
- 2019 Initial Sir Walter Miler Elite Women’s Field Announced (7/16/2019)