Photo Credit: johnnepolitan/runnerspace
State Records go down as Nikki Hiltz and Yared Nuguse win at the 2022 Sir Walter Miler
August 5, 2022 – Raleigh, North Carolina – On a warm summer night in Raleigh, athletes had extra incentive to go after the North Carolina state mile records, previously held by Shannon Rowbury and Edward Cheserek. At the Athlete Dinner on Thursday, longtime Sir Walter Miler sustainers, Dr. Mark Graham and Dr. Laneta Dorflinger, announced they would offer a $5000 incentive if either of these records were broken.
In the women’s elite race, last years runner-up, Nikki Hiltz, made a commanding move with 250 meters to go to secure the win over Eleanor Fulton. Hiltz’s time of 4:21.89 was a personal best, and improved upon Lauren Johnson’s meet record of 4:25.04 from 2016, and Rowbury’s state record of 4:22.66, which was set in 2015 at JDL Fast Track in Winston-Salem, NC.
“The main goal was to win, time was second,” said Hiltz, who led Fulton (4:23.65) and Raleigh native, Elly Henes (4:27.66) to personal bests, as well. Hiltz’s time was the fastest by an American, and the second fastest in the world this year.
On the men’s side, Bowerman Track Club’s Sean McGorty took the lead just before the final lap, but in the end, Yared Nuguse had the top closing speed over the last 100 meters. Nuguse won in a new state record and personal best time of 3:53.34, besting Lopez Lomong’s meet record of 3:53.86 (2018) and Cheserek’s former state record of 3:53.85, which set at the JDL Fast Track in 2018.
“It’s about putting myself in a position to where I can truly give everything I have at the end, and I was able to do that today,” Nuguse told Colleen Quigley after the race. “The legs are feeling good, honestly.”
Nuguse led 12 men under the 4:00 barrier, include first-timers Rob Heppenstall (3:55.15), Dan Michalski (3:57.25), Alec Basten (3:58.55) and Benjamin Allen (3:59.40). Under Armour’s Festus Lagat (3:54.02) and McGorty (3:54.51) would round out the podium.
The event was held at Cardinal Gibbons High School, where record crowds surrounded the track in the style that has made the Sir Walter Miler unique. It was the 8th year of the event, which now boasts 69 sub 4:00 minute miles on the men’s side, and 28 sub 4:30 mile performances on the women’s side. The event was broadcast live on RunnerSpace.com.
Sponsors of the 2022 Sir Walter Miler are Waverly Hematology Oncology, Think Promotional Group, Greater Raleigh Sports Alliance, COROS, North Raleigh Family Eyecare, ElliptiGO, Athletic Brewing Co., Sanctuary Vineyards, On, Trophy Brewing Co., LMNT, Duke Health and JDL Fast Track.
The Sir Walter Miler is directed and promoted by Sir Walter Running, a Raleigh-based 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization whose mission is to “bring the Greater Raleigh running community together through innovation, activation, and inclusivity.” Sir Walter Running is a USATF club that produces the Pop Up Miles series, the Raleigh RunDown Downhill Mile (which takes place this Saturday), the Raleigh (Holiday) Half Marathon, and the Summer of Miles podcast.
Women’s Elite Mile (Race Video on RunnerSpace)
1. Nikki Hiltz, lululemon 4:21.89^ ($6500)
2. Eleanor Fulton 4:23.65 ($1250)
3. Elly Henes, adidas 4:27.66 ($500)
4. Gabbi Jennings, adidas 4:31.78 ($250)
5. Christina Aragon 4:32.81 ($100)
6. Katie Camarena 4:33.19
7. Emily Richards, Tracksmith 4:33.41
8. Maddie Strandemo, oiselle/littlewing 4:34.39
9. Aisha Praught-Leer, Puma 4:35.27
10. Megan Mansy 4:36.31
11. Molly Sughroue, Tracksmith 4:36.82
12. Hannah Steelman, On 4:37.51
13. Charlene Lipsey, Tracksmith 4:45.78
Men’s Elite Mile (Race Video on RunnerSpace)
1. Yared Nuguse, On Athletics Club 3:53.34^ ($6500)
2. Festus Lagat, Under Armour 3:54.02 ($1000)
3. Sean McGorty, Bowerman Track Club 3:54.51 ($650)
4. Vince Ciattei, Oregon Track Club 3:54.79 ($500)
5. Rob Heppenstall 3:55.15* ($300)
6. Jye Edwards, adidas 3:55.90 ($100)
7. Rorey Hunter, adidas 3:56.26 ($100)
8. Paul Ryan, adidas 3:56.49 ($100)
9. Sam Prakel, adidas 3:56.59 ($100)
10. Dan Michalski, Nike 3:57.25* ($200)
11. Alec Basten 3:58.55* ($100)
12. Benjamin Allen, Empire Elite 3:59.40* ($100)
13. Jonathan Davis, Atlanta TC Elite 4:00.62
14. Matt Wisner, New Generation T&F 4:01.01
15. Amos Bartelsmeyer, Bowerman Track Club 4:05.00
*First time Sub 4:00