Note: This page will be updated frequently with new information!
The 2022 Sir Walter Miler will take place at Cardinal Gibbons High School Track, the same location as last year, and the 2013 Sandman Mile! The school is located at 1401 Edwards Mill Rd, Raleigh, NC 27607. The following food trucks will be on site: Poblanos Tacos, Buoy Bowls, Will and Pops, and Andia’s Ice Cream.
THE SIR WALTER MILER IS FREE TO ATTEND!
There will also be a Post race party happening at Raleigh Brewing Company, starting at 6pm. Raleigh Brewing will have exclusive runner-friendly beers (and seltzers) and Food Trucks in the parking lot!
Friday, August 5th is race day! If you plan on coming, please RSVP on Facebook. Want to watch the race as a “Very Important Spectator,” check out the Merch page for details. While you’re at it, follow us on Twitter, Instagram, and like the event on Facebook. The official hashtag is #sirwaltermiler
For those of you coming, below are some Race Day tips. If you have a specific question, email us at SirWalterRunning@gmail.com
- Episode 83 – 2022 Sir Walter Miler Athlete Panel (YouTube video)
- Episode 82 – “Sir Walter Miler for Dummies”
- Episode 81 – Yared Nuguse
- Episode 80 – Sean McGorty
- Episode 79 – Rob Heppenstall
- Episode 78 – Matt Wisner
- Episode 77 – Gabbi Jennings
- Episode 76 – Aisha Praught-Leer
- Episode 75 – Mike and Mary Shea
- Episode 74 – Stephen Furst discusses the initial Men’s field
- Episode 73 – Jeff Caron discusses the initial Women’s field
- Episode 72 – Hannah Steelman
THE SIR WALTER MILER IS FREE AND OPEN TO THE PUBLIC!
Race Day Schedule and fields
7:00pm – Sir Walter Tailgate, supported by On
8:30pm – COROS Coaches Clash
8:40pm – Run Club 4x400m Relay
8:45pm – Fans can enter the track area
9:00pm – National Anthem
9:15pm – Women’s Elite Mile (click name for bio)
- Christina Aragon
- Katie Camarena
- Eleanor Fulton
- Elly Henes – adidas
- Nikki Hiltz – lululemon
- Gabbi Jennings – adidas (Summer of Miles podcast interview)
- Charlene Lipsey – Tracksmith
- Megan Mansy
- Aisha Praught-Leer – Puma (Summer of Miles podcast interview)
- Emily Richards – Tracksmith
- Hannah Steelman – On (Summer of Miles podcast interview)
- Maddie Strandemo – Oiselle / Little Wing
- Molly Sughroue – Tracksmith
- Laurie Barton (Pacer) – Brooks Beasts
9:30pm – Men’s Elite Mile (click name for bio)
- Benjamin Allen – Empire Elite TC
- Amos Bartelsmeyer – Nike Bowerman Track Club
- Alec Basten
- Vincent Ciattei – Nike Oregon TC
- Jonathan Davis – Atlanta Track Club Elite
- Jye Edwards – adidas
- Rob Heppenstall (Summer of Miles podcast interview)
- Rorey Hunter – adidas
- Festus Lagat – Under Armour
- Sean McGorty – Nike Bowerman Track Club (Summer of Miles podcast interview)
- Dan Michalski – Nike
- Yared Nuguse – On Athletics Club (Summer of Miles podcast interview)
- Sam Prakel – adidas
- Paul Ryan – adidas
- Matt Wisner – New Generation T&F (Summer of Miles podcast interview)
- Isaiah Harris (Pacer) – Brooks Beasts
9:40pm – Awards Ceremony on the Cardinal Gibbons Track
9:55pm – Post Party starts at Raleigh Brewing Company
Race Day Information
- Don’t drive, take Lyft, Uber, Cab, get a friend to drop you off, bike it, ElliptiGO it, or walk!
- Cardinal Gibbons High School – There will be plenty of parking here. Maps coming soon.
- Raleigh Brewing Company – Parking will be limited here.
- The event is rain or shine. As long as there is no lightning, we will run!
- You can watch the weather here.
- Some light rain may postpone a “ball” game, but this can be beneficial to runners.
3. Track Etiquette
- NO ALCOHOL is allowed at Cardinal Gibbons Track (that’s for the pre/post party, if you’re 21)
- No spectators will be allowed on the track UNTIL AFTER the Run Club 4×400 Relay
- We WILL ALLOW people on to the track for the Women’s and the Men’s Elite Races
- If you are on the track, PLEASE STAND OUTSIDE OF LANE 5
- No pets, strollers, or unattended children will be allowed on the track/infield
- If you are on the infield, please stay 3 feet from the inside of the track. Do not encroach the runners. DO NOT TAKE A “race selfie”
- Be cautious of the FINISH LINE. You WILL NOT be able to stand near due to timing issues.
- Have fun! Take pictures and videos! Hashtag #sirwaltermiler
- They’re up! The 2022 Sir Walter Miler shirts are live and for sale in the merch section. We’ll throw 5 VIP passes in orders made this weekend, so get yours now. $25 each. Free Shipping, Free Stickers, and a Free Miscellaneous Sir Walter Running koozie with every order. Buy online at sirwalterrunning.square.site
- We’ll have Commemorative Hats, Shirts, and more for sale at the event (plus free stickers) by the entrance (we will accept cash, credit cards, and Venmo)
- We accept donations too! Venmo @SirWalterMiler
5. Get Hype!
- “Four Minutes to the Wind” – Raleigh Magazine (6/30/2019)
- “How Sir Walter Miler Became The Track Meet You Can’t Miss” – NCRunners (8/2/18)
- “Sir Walter Miler provides best glimpse of future growth for American track” – Sports Illustrated (8/7/15)
- Enjoy the night! You’re witnessing history!
6. Saturday morning – Run with the Pros at Umstead
- Come “Run with the Pros” you saw racing Friday night!
- Harrison Ave entrance – exit 287 off of I-40 – 2100 N Harrison Ave, Cary, NC 27513
- Run starts at 9:00am, and will go down Loblolly from 4 miles to longer
- RSVP on Facebook
7. Saturday night – Raleigh RunDown Downhill Mile
- Race the “Fastest Mile in North Carolina”
- More details on registration and more at RaleighRunDown.com
- Women at 6:30pm, Men at 7:00pm, Awards and Post-Race Party at Trophy on Maywood
- RSVP on Facebook
7. More Events
- Wednesday Morning – Run & Coffee with Elly Henes and Hannah Steelman at Pine State Coffee / Runologie (RSVP on Facebook)
- Wednesday Night – Track Meet at St. Augs, followed by an Athlete Panel at Runologie (Sign up to run) (RSVP on Facebook)
Past Press Releases
- Press Release: Final fields set for 2022 Sir Walter Miler
- Press Release: Initial Elite Fields set for the 2022 Sir Walter Miler
Can’t make it in person? Check the race out on RunnerSpace.com
Social Media: #SirWalterMiler | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
Podcast: Summer of Miles on Apple Podcasts | Spotify | SoundCloud | TuneIn | Stitcher
Video: Sir Walter Running YouTube Channel
Live Results: via Athletic.net
For more information, sponsorship information, or interview requests, contact Pat Price at firstname.lastname@example.org and 919.783.7660