2021 Sir Walter Miler Event and Race Day Information
Note: This page will be updated frequently with new information!
The 2021 Sir Walter Miler will take place at a new venue this year, the Cardinal Gibbons High School Track, the same location as the 2013 Sandman Mile! The school is located at 1401 Edwards Mill Rd, Raleigh, NC 27607, and the 2021 Olympic Women’s Marathon will be shown on the videoboard at 6pm, before the races start at 8:30pm.
THE SIR WALTER MILER IS FREE TO ATTEND!
There will also be a Pre and Post race party happening at Raleigh Brewing Company, starting at 6pm. Raleigh Brewing will have exclusive runner-friendly beers (and seltzers) and Food Trucks in the parking lot!
Friday, August 6th is race day! After missing 2020, we hope you can make it out for the 2021 Sir Walter Miler. If you plan on coming, please RSVP on Facebook. Want to attend the “Dinner with the Pros” or watch the race as a “Very Important Spectator,” check out the Merch page for details. While you’re at it, follow us on Twitter, Instagram, and like the event on Facebook. The official hashtag is #sirwaltermiler
For those of you coming, below are some Race Day tips. If you have a specific question, email us at SirWalterRunning@gmail.com
- Episode 67 – 2021 Sir Walter Miler preview & Craig Engels interview
- Episode 66 – Mick Stanovsek interview
- Episode 65 – Stephen Furst, Men’s Elite Coordinator
- Episode 64 – Sage Hurta
- Episode 63 – Jeff Caron, Women’s Elite Coordinator
- Episode 62 – Joey Berriatua
- Episode 61 – Elly Henes
THE SIR WALTER MILER IS FREE AND OPEN TO THE PUBLIC!
Race Day Schedule and fields
4:45pm – HOKA ONE ONE Pre-Party at Cardinal Gibbons with food & drink (while it lasts)
5:00pm – Women’s Olympic Marathon Watch Party at Cardinal Gibbons
5:00pm – Pre-party starts at Raleigh Brewing Company
8:30pm – COROS Coaches Clash
8:40pm – Run Club 4x400m Relay
8:45pm – Fans can enter the track area
9:05pm – National Anthem
9:15pm – Women’s Elite Mile (click name for bio)
- Elly Henes, adidas (Summer of Miles podcast interview)
- Rebecca Mehra, Oiselle Littlewing Athletics
- Gabbi Jennings, adidas
- Nikki Hiltz, adidas
- Sara Vaughn, &Mother
- Josette Norris, Reebok Boston TC
- Abbey Cooper, New Balance
- Sammy George, Tracksmith
- Sage Hurta, On Athletics Club (Summer of Miles podcast interview)
- Amanda Eccleston, Brooks Running
- Emily Infeld, Nike Bowerman TC
- Grace Barnett, ASICS Mammoth TC
- Eleanor Fulton
- Michaela Meyer
- Sinclaire Johnson, Bowerman TC
- Alli Cash, ASICS
- Amy-Eloise Markovc, Reebok Boston TC
- Emily Richards, HOKA ONE ONE (Pacer)
9:30pm – Men’s Elite Mile (click name for bio)
- Isaiah Harris, NIKE
- Craig Engels, NIKE
- Waleed Suliman, Brooks Beasts
- Sam Prakel, adidas
- Geordie Beamish, On Athletics Club
- Charles Philibert-Thiboutot, New Balance
- Joey Berriatua, Tinman Elite / adidas (Summer of Miles podcast interview)
- John Reniewicki, Under Armour
- Mick Stanovsek, Melbourne University TC
- Vincent Ciattei, NIKE Oregon Track Club Elite
- Biya Simbassa, Under Armour
- Eric Holt, Empire Elite TC
- Tai Dinger
- Robby Andrews, adidas (Pacer)
9:40pm – Awards Ceremony on the Cardinal Gibbons Track
9:55pm – Post Party starts at Raleigh Brewing Company
Race Day Information
- Don’t drive, take Lyft, Uber, Cab, get a friend to drop you off, bike it, ElliptiGO it, or walk!
- Cardinal Gibbons High School – There will be plenty of parking here. Maps coming soon.
- Raleigh Brewing Company – Parking will be limited here, so if you want a spot, come around 6pm (or earlier)
- The event is rain or shine. As long as there is no lightning, we will run!
- You can watch the weather here.
- Some light rain may postpone a “ball” game, but this can be beneficial to runners.
3. Track Etiquette
- NO ALCOHOL is allowed at Cardinal Gibbons Track (that’s for the pre/post party, if you’re 21)
- No spectators will be allowed on the track UNTIL AFTER the Run Club 4×400 Relay
- We WILL ALLOW people on to the track for the Women’s and the Men’s Elite Races
- If you are on the track, PLEASE STAND OUTSIDE OF LANE 5
- No pets, strollers, or unattended children will be allowed on the track/infield
- If you are on the infield, please stay 3 feet from the inside of the track. Do not encroach the runners. DO NOT TAKE A “race selfie”
- Be cautious of the FINISH LINE. You WILL NOT be able to stand near due to timing issues.
- Have fun! Take pictures and videos! Hashtag #sirwaltermiler
4. Sir Walter Swag!
- They’re up! The 2021 Sir Walter Miler shirts are live and for sale in the merch section. We’ll throw 5 VIP passes in orders made this weekend, so get yours now. $20 each. Free Shipping, Free Stickers, and a Free Miscellaneous Sir Walter Running koozie with every order. Buy online at sirwalterrunning.square.site
- We’ll have Commemorative Hats, Shirts, and more for sale at the event (plus free stickers) by the entrance (we will accept cash, credit cards, and Venmo)
- We accept donations too! Venmo @SirWalterMiler
5. Get Hype!
- “Return of Sir Walter Miler features Elite Racing with Local Flair” – Dyestat (7/30/2021)
- DyeStat Discussion with Pat Price – Dyestat (7/20/2021)
- Pat and Sandy from Sir Walter Running – Two Dads Run Podcast (6/24/2021)
- “Four Minutes to the Wind” – Raleigh Magazine (6/30/2019)
- “How Sir Walter Miler Became The Track Meet You Can’t Miss” – NCRunners (8/2/18)
- “Sir Walter Miler provides best glimpse of future growth for American track” – Sports Illustrated (8/7/15)
- Enjoy the night! You’re witnessing history!
6. Saturday morning – On Run with the Pros at Umstead
- Come “Run with the Pros” you saw racing Friday night!
- Harrison Ave entrance – exit 287 off of I-40 – 2100 N Harrison Ave, Cary, NC 27513
- Run starts at 9:00am, and will go down Loblolly from 4 miles to longer
- On Running will provide snacks!
- RSVP on Facebook
7. Saturday night – Raleigh RunDown Downhill Mile
- Race the “Fastest Mile in North Carolina”
- Join the post-race party and Olympic Men’s Marathon Watch Party at Trophy on Maywood
- More details on registration and more at RaleighRunDown.com
Past Press Releases
- Press Release: Final fields set for 2021 Sir Walter Miler
- Press Release: Initial Elite Fields set for 2021 Sir Walter Miler
Can’t make it in person? Check the race out on RunnerSpace.com
Social Media: #SirWalterMiler | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
Podcast: Summer of Miles on Apple Podcasts | Spotify | SoundCloud | TuneIn | Stitcher
Video: Sir Walter Running YouTube Channel
Live Results: Courtesy of RR Timing
For more information, sponsorship information, or interview requests, contact Pat Price at email@example.com and 919.783.7660
3 thoughts on “2021 Sir Walter Miler Event and Race Day Information”
Pingback: Episode 67 - 2021 Sir Walter Miler preview & Craig Engels interview - Summer of Miles podcast
Pingback: Friday, August 6: Sir Walter Miler 🏃 - Raleigh Weekend
Pingback: Press Release: Final fields set for 2021 Sir Walter Miler - Sir Walter Miler